If there's anything I have a passion for, it's baking. When I find a recipe, or create a recipe, I find myself manipulating it repeatedly to see how many new creations can come from one base recipe. Here I want to share with you my family's favorite dessert, which calls for 4 eggs (I always have plenty of eggs this time of year!). I have several variations on this recipe, but this one is by far the most asked-for.
I use it as is, freeze it and serve like ice cream or my favorite adaption, as a filling for eclairs! YUM!
Cocoa Cream Custard:
- 2 Cups + 2 Tbsp Milk
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 4 Egg Yolks
- 1 Tsp Cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Flour Sifted
- Mix yolks, sugar, vanilla and flour in a medium bowl.
- Warm the milk and cocoa in a small sauce pan until you see some steam come off the milk. Do this on med-low heat slowly.
- Pour milk over yolk mixture, stir to combine and the pour back into sauce pan.
- Bring to a soft boil where you'll see bubbles popping up the side of your sauce pan. After a few pops give it an easy stir and remove from heat. It will thicken more as it cools.
- Serve cold, warm or as a filling in a pastry!