Chicken breed identification: It's all in the details

At My Pet Chicken, we get lots of questions from folks who would like assistance with chicken breed identification. We can often help... but sometimes we just aren't given enough information to provide an educated guess!

So, be sure to provide details. A picture is always helpful, but keep in mind that it will have to show these details, or else you'll face the self-same problem with chicken breed identification as you'd have if you provided an incomplete verbal description. Even when we can see your chicken's legs in the photo, for example, their color might not be apparent. In some cases, the colors in the photo may not accurately reflect what your chicken looks like in real life.

So, help us out with some additional information.

Identifying chickens by feathers

Characteristics used in chicken breed identification

It's all in the details.  Here are the specifics we need in order to make a good guess about what breed your chicken is:

1. Feather color (buff, splash, red, black)
  2. Feather pattern (laced, spotted, spangled, pencilled, etc.)
  3. Comb type (single, pea, rose, etc.)
  4. Leg color (slate, willow, yellow, white, black, etc.)
  5. Skin color (yellow, white, black)
  6. Number of toes (4 or 5?)
  7. Feather leggedness
  8. Unusual feather texture (silkied, frizzled)
  9. Crestedness
  10. Tuftedness
  11. Taillessness
  12. Beardedness
  13. Egg color laid (white, brown, blue, green, chocolate, etc.)
  14. Large fowl or bantam
  15. Body shape and other factors ( tail length, tail angle, upright carriage, naked neck, etc.)
Polish rooster

Because so many chicken breeds can be superficially described the same way, we need a lot of information to make a reasonable guess. For instance, when we get an email asking for chicken breed identification help, but the only detail provided is that the hen is black... well , it isn't a question we can answer with any reasonable assurance of accuracy. There are numerous breeds that can be black or mostly black, including

On the other hand, just knowing the comb type can help narrow the field considerably and help with chicken breed identification. For example, a single comb would narrow the above list to four breeds (Jersey Giants, Australorps, Black Copper Marans, Cochins). Lack of feathered legs would narrow the list to two (Jersey Giants and Australorps). And knowing the skin is white rather than yellow would mean that the most reasonable guess would be that you have an Australorp. (Jersey Giants are also much different in shape and size than Australorps! But that difference might not be apparent, depending on the age of the bird.)

Black Orpington Hen

Additionally, there are sometimes other rarer breeds that might fit the description you've given, but which are less common. For instance, Black Orpingtons wouldn't have been eliminated by any of the tests above. However, since black is a relatively rare plumage color for an Orpington in this country, it's not a guess we would consider likely.

Finally, all our guesses may be for naught; you could have a mixed breed chicken. Unless you want to have DNA testing done, no guess will be absolute!

Do you have any chickens you need help identifying? You can ask about them below in the comments--be sure to give every detail! If you have any pictures, you can post them to our Facebook page and ask about them there.

Tierney Clark

I don't have a breed question, but i was wondering if I was right in assuming my Rhode Island Red was actually a roo.
He's quite bigger than his sister, has a much redder comb, which is bigger also. He has that shiny black blue look to some of his feathers, where the other one doesn't, and his tail is beginning to get long and curled, with those shiny blue black feathers too. But the thing that almost convinces me, is the little knobs on the back of each leg right about where a spur should be. I'm guessing they are growing in?
He doesn't crow yet but he is louder and deeper sounding than his sister too.
Think I might have a roo? I'm thinking so hahah...

Reply to  Tierney Clark

The easiest way to tell if your bird is a rooster is to look at the shape of the saddle feathers. Read more here in the Help pages of our website.

John

Hey, where did my comment go?

Emily

My husband came home from a poultry auction a couple of months ago with a box of chicks.... had no idea what they were, just "thought they looked cool" hahah. Well they are pretty big now, and 4 of them are clearly cochins, but there are two I am having trouble identifying. They are brown and speckled with a lighter band of buff or slightly gold feathering around the necks. one has a darker brown head like the body color, the others in light like the neck. They have grey legs and beak and small combs. they are very compact/round chickens, with very small tails... at least so far. They were very dark... nearly black as chicks. They have no feathering on their feet, and their feathers are very smooth and sleek like a brown leghorns. Any ideas? I have looked at partridge rocks and welsummers, and they don't quite fit.

Reply to  Emily

You can either post photos to our Facebook page, or send an email with photos to info@mypetchicken.com, and we'll be happy to try to help you identify your birds. πŸ™‚

Nancy Wood

hopefully this will be an easy one for you. we bred a cuckoo marans rooster with a cuckoo marans hen. she hatched three of the eggs. now they are almost grown. two appear to be hens and one is definitely a male.. the male looks like a cuckoo marans but the females are black with shiny black feet. This is a mystery to me. how can two pure bred cuckoo marans hatch pure black babies with black feet?

Reply to  Nancy Wood

Cuckoo (and barred) hens tend to be darker than males. Possibly you're just not seeing the barring, yet. Or possibly you had some other sort of rooster sneak in to your Marans pen (or a hen sneak out for a bit!). It's difficult to guess what may have happened, not knowing details. When they begin laying, the color of the eggs may give you a clue.

Aly

Hi!! I got some mixed breed hens yesterday and was wondering if you could help with figuring out what they might be. One of the hens, which I named Zoe, is quite small, she has white feathers with just a couple of tiny black speckles. She has a single comb and willow green legs with yellow feet on the underside. She has a small tuft or crest (I'm not sure the difference) on her head which looks kind of like a little tiny bun. The tuft is also white with a few black feathers. She has kind of a small narrow body and a slender neck. Any help or guesses would be appreciated!!! Thanks!! πŸ™‚

Reply to  Aly

You're saying you got mixed breed hens? If Zoe is a mixed breed chicken (a mutt), there's no easy way to tell which breeds she has in her background. We like mutts for sure, but there's not a good way to tell what breeds went into her make-up. Did you mean you got a mix of different chicken breeds? If so, you might start by finding out what breeds your supplier has available, which would narrow it down considerably. Willow legs are relatively unusual; most breeds have pink/white or yellow legs, so--if you do have a mix of breeds rather than a group of mixed breeds--finding out if your supplier carries a crested, willow legged chicken. Tufts come out of the side of the head, while crests are on top.

Ray Fernell

t. I have a hen that has the body of a leghorn , she is black , she has a white earlobe , dark grey legs, the bill is dark grey, eyes are dark, her plumage gleens blue green in the sun, she is very friendly and unafraide. Can you identify her, Your site is great. Thank you Ray

Amber

It is a vey young chick. It's supposedly some kind of Bantam. Feather color is very pale orange, being slightly more orangish on the head. It's not very orange, but it's darker than my yellow/buff chicks. It doesn't have any patterning and no feathers yet, but it does have feathers/fuzz on it's legs and feet. It has 5 toes on each foot. It has grey/black skin, beak, and feet. It has a very distinct "puff", what I believe is called a crown on it's brow. It even has small puffs on it's cheeks under its eyes.

Reply to  Amber

You might have a buff or partridge silkie. There are few chickens with five toes, and fewer with black skin.

Ray, you might have a black andalusian... but again, as this article points out, we'd need a photo... and even then, unless it's a good photo, we may not be sure of what you have.

Ashley

I have a 10 week old hen. Solid black with green shimmer. Slate legs, non feathered, 4 toes. Single comb. Seems to be a bit smaller than my rir and had a short neck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Reply to  Ashley

There are a number of black chickens with slate legs and single combs, for instance Black Andalusians, Sumatras, Australorps, Black Orpingtons, Jersey Giants and so on, as outlined in the post. If you have a clear photo to send, please feel free to send it to info at mypetchicken.com. Someone may be able to give you a good guess that way.

Mary McCormick

I have several chickens withe green legs. 1 is white with green feet and 2 are brown with green feet. Can somebody give me an idea of what they are?

Reply to  Mary McCormick

Remember, as stated in the article, more information is needed to get a good ID. You've just given feather color and leg color, which is not enough. Take a look at the list in the article above. Alternatively, as I mentioned in the comment above yours, if you have a clear photo to send, please feel free to send it to info at mypetchicken.com. Someone may be able to give you a good guess that way.

Julie linbourn

Hi, I was given some eggs that came from a porcelain sablepoot run at the time however two have hatched that are clearly this breed but one stands taller the the two sablepoot and has no feathers on feet, it is a slightly darker grey with darker feet and beak? Wondering if you can help

Reply to  Julie linbourn

It sounds as if a rooster from another breed or variety may have sneaked into the run with the Sablepoots, or Booted Bantams. I'm sorry, but I probably won't have a good guess for the breed, because of course if a rooster sneaked in to the Sablepoot pen, you might have a mixed breed chicken. Many people keep a few different types of Belgian Bantams, and there are there are several types. The Antwerp Belgian Bantam goes by a few names, including Barbu d'Anvers and Belgian Bearded D'Anvers. It is clean legged, with a beard. The Belgian Bearded D'Uccles are similar, but have feathered legs (Mille Fleur is the most popular plumage of the D'Uccles, with Porcelain probably coming in second).
However, it really could have been any breed. You might have better luck getting a guess by contacting the person you got the eggs from to find out who might have sneaked in. That person would know what other breeds might be around!

ok i bought a hen from the flea market but not sure what kind she is, shes solid white VERY VERY large in size, she has yellow feet and legs but her skin is pink/red her comb is small but not two small it sticks up alil with ridges on it, i have raised buff orphans so her comb is like theirs in some sort if that will help lol..its just her size is very very big, she does have white ear also, her feet are huge lol..pls help

Reply to  kiara cox

It's tough to tell without seeing her, of course, but you might have a White Minorca. They are quite large, yellow legged, and their earlobes are white. Most common chicken breeds that can come in a white plumage (Cornish, Giants, Cochins) have red earlobes rather than white, and/or they have the wrong color legs. (The Leghorn would be too small for what you're describing.) The type of comb you are talking about is called a "single comb," by the way. You can read all about different comb types (and see photos) on our website.

Victoria

Hi, I brought some hens yesterday thinking they were polish but when I got home I noticed they have 5 toes instead of 4. I know Houdan are similar to polish but have beards which mine don't. Their colours are blue and a white splash, both have grey skin. Am I right in thinking they are polish x's or are they more likely Houdan x's?

Reply to  Victoria

If you think they're crosses, it's tough to tell. Crestedness is dominant, so it could be a cross between a five toed bird and a crested bird... and there are lots of possibilities. Or, it could be a Silkie cross: silkies have crests and five toes, and may have beards or not. The silkie feather trait is recessive, so a 1st gen cross wouldn't have the fuzzy feathers. (I had some silkies I crossed with a blue egg breed, and they ended up looking almost exactly like Sultans, but laid green eggs--very cool!) Keep in mind, though, that sometimes you may just have a flaw. That is, beardedness is dominant, but you can have recessives pop up from time to time and produce, basically, non-bearded Houdans (or nonbearded Faverolles, etc.) OR, if these are adult birds, they might have had their beards plucked by a dominant hen. We might be better able to offer a guess if you send a photo and your query to info at mypetchicken.com.

Pat

We just got three new chickens and we need help with identification
1: appears it could be a lavender Orpington: lavender/silver color, very large (6+lbs?), brown eggs, silver legs, 4 toes, dark beak and very red single comb, very fluffy.

2: Appears it could be a leghorn?: white with a tiny speckles of black, smaller sized (maybe 3lbs?), yellow legs, 4 toes, large white eggs, single floppy comb, yellow beak.

3: at a loss on this one...sultan, Easter Egger?: pure white, walnut comb, white legs with light feathering on shank and a little on feet, 5 toes, lavender/silver skin on the outside/underside of eyes, silver/white beak, white puffy feather crest... Sultan, right? But she lays light green eggs almost every day! Maybe an Ameraucana/sultan mix?

Sorry for the terrible pictures but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to  Pat

Hi, Pat! Unfortunately, you can't upload photos in the comments here. That said, you can email your questions and photos to info at mypetchicken.com, and we can try to help you that way. πŸ™‚

Jennifer

Hello! I rescued a white chicken and I have no idea what breed it is. Can someone help?

Reply to  Jennifer

Hi, Jennifer! Please email your detailed photos and the information I outlined above (leg color, skin color, # toes, etc.) to info@mypetchicken.com. Our experts will try to help!

Amy

I bought 5 chicks today, 2 are barred rocks and the other 3 were some type of bantam chicks, after we got them all set up we played with them and noticed one of my little ones has fuzzy legs/toes?? Does that mean it's a different type?? I've googled everything I can think of but still have no idea. I've never owned chickens before. Please help! Only has 4 toes can't figure out how to upload pics?? It's like a cream color with orangeish face/head, a little darker on the body orange beak light orange/ creamy colored legs, thanks in advance

Reply to  Amy

Hi, Amy. As I explained in the above blog post, there are 15 different details that can help us provide a good guess for you. The more details we have, the better our guess can be. One place to start for you would be to contact the people you purchased from to see which breeds they sell. There aren't many hatcheries that have the number of rare breeds My Pet Chicken does! In fact, we have exclusive varieties that can't be found anywhere else in this country. Most hatcheries and feed stores only carry a select number of breeds, though, so this can narrow down the possibilities considerably. If you're still unable to figure out what you may have, please email all those details and any clear photos to our experts at info@mypetchicken.com, and we can try to help you guess.

robin

yes i have a question about a young rooster i have hes reddish gold with white on him mostly around his tail and neck and he has white ear lobs ? idk what his breed is can anyone help me out please?

Reply to  robin

Hi, Robin. Please send a photo or a complete description of him (as outlined in the blog post) to info@mypetchicken.com, and our experts will try to help!

connie nettles

I crossed a black Australop hen with black englih orpington Roo. The chicks that just hatched are mostly black with some yellow feathers . I am new to chickens and so excited. Where did the yellow feathering come from? Oh and will they just be a mix breed? Thank you.

Reply to  connie nettles

Black chickens often have some yellow down as baby chicks. Check out these photos of Australorp chicks as an example. Your chicks will likely grow up to be all black. Yes, they will technically be mixed breeds, however since Australorps were originally developed from Orpingtons, you're probably not very likely to see any unusual characteristics pop up in this first generation!

Actually, the first Orpingtons were black. Later, other colors were created. The most common Orpington color today is buff, so a lot of people think of the buff as the "real" Orpington, even though black was the original color. πŸ™‚ To breed the Australorp, some black Orpingtons were imported into Australia, and were used to create a utility egg-layer for the Aussies. They used various breeds with excellent laying characteristics like the RIR and even Leghorn, among others. The end result was that Australorps have tighter (meaning less fluffy, more sleek) feathers than Orpingtons, and they lay better, too! In fact, the Australorp breed still holds the record for egg laying--364 eggs in 365 days. Impressive!

Keri

I bought two chicks that are supposed to be Ameracaunas. I'm a novice chicken owner. Both chicks are pure white with blue legs, blue ears and also blue combs and wattles. Their feathers are not quite the same as the other Welsummer and leghorn chicks. I tried googling to see if the breed is correct but the blue comb is throwing off my search. Any insight? I can certainly try to get a pic and email it.

Reply to  Keri

Is it possible you have silkies? They have dark skin, legs, blue earlobes and a blue (ish to purple) comb and wattles. Their feathers have a furry appearance, and they do come in a white variety.

Jake Page

Hi! So I got 2 adorable chicks on April 26th and they've grown up fast!! I just have a problem. I don't know what the gray chicken is!!! It has a gray feathering and the pattern is just simply splashed I guess with tan gold coloring in the feathering, white also , yellow skin, and has yellow like feet. She/he has a pea comb I'm thinking and tail feathers are probably as long as your pinky perhaps. No hairy legs and has 4 toes. Please help me find out what she is!!!

Reply to  Jake Page

Hi, Jake! You might send a photo of your mystery bird to info@mypetchicken.com. Our experts can help with a guess or two!

Eelz

Hi, I need help identifying this chick.the woman at the feed store gave it to my daughter and all she said was it was a bantam.blue gray in color,mild feathering on the legs,black and yellow legs, 4 toes.skin color is not black. Its about 2 -3 weeks old now and the feathers conning out are different looking.it looks frayed. The wings are larger then the body by 1/4 inch.please help

Reply to  Eelz

It's difficult to know for sure, but possibly you have a bantam frizzle cochin. You can see a photo of a black frizzle cochin here, but they do come in many colors, including "blue," which is a blue-grey. Please feel free to email a photo to info@mypetchicken.com to see if someone can identify your chick more positively. I'm just going on your description.

Paula Tuttle

I have 3 black hens and a black rooster. Thing is, they all have black legs, yellow toenails and the bottoms of their feet are yellow too! Their combs and ear flaps are red. Anybody know what breed this is? A friend gave them to me who was leaving town and didn't know the breed either. Thanks for anyone's help who might know.

Reply to  Paula Tuttle

There are a lot of different chickens that can come in a black plumage color. Some can be distinguished by comb type, fancy feathering and that sort of thing, while with others, it's more of a body shape thing. That, with yellow feet, you probably have Black Jersey Giants. It's possible you might also have a black rock (although that color is not especially easy to find in that breed). If there are fancy feathers (like feathered legs), you might have something else, like a black cochin. If your chicken has something other than a single comb, there are other possibilities. Please feel free to email us at info@mypetchicken.com and send photos so we can give you a more informed guess. You can also see a chicken breed list and photos of different breeds right here on our website.

Trish

Hello, I bought 3-4 week old baby chicks from a local chicken breeder, she had australorp/ mixed breeds in with her maran chicks. She sold me the australorp/ crosses, and she figured the marans had fuzzy legs. Now she says they loose there fuzzy legs at some point, then they get it back later, and she was wondering if she could switch the hens when/if the leg fuzz comes back as she didn't mean to sell me any marans. So I was wondering when the marans would get there fuzzy legs back, also looking for some info of how I could tell the two breeds apart, they are all black.

Reply to  Trish

It's difficult to determine how to tell them apart since I don't know what's making up the mixed breeds. Mixed breeds can have fuzzy legs, for instance if there are fuzzy/feathered leg chickens in their background. Their skin color, earlobe color, comb type, and so on can all vary depending upon their heritage. If I knew the makeup or likely makeup of the mixed breed chicks I might be able to offer some guidance. I will say that chicks with feathered legs don't tend to lose down on their legs for any significant period of time. The down goes as the feathers come in. If you've had your chicks for a few days with naked legs and don't see any little feather tips beginning to peek out from the leg scutes (scales), those chicks are not likely have feathered legs as adults. If you can provide any more information about the heritage of the mixed breeds or the variety of Marans (there are several varieties that start out as mostly black), it's possible I could give you more ideas

moe

how to tell which are rooster, and which are hens. they are about 1 yr old

Reply to  moe
Wendy Eversvik

Hello!
I do not have a picture on my iPad, so will do my best to describe my hen. If I have a pic on my iPhone, I will send it to you.
I bought two 12 week old "Black Australorp" pullets over the summer. At that time they looked very similar, but as they have matured, one of them is definitely not a true australorp....
She is black, with shiny feathers, but has a bit of white at the tip of one or two tail feathers. She also has white ears and is laying large, bright white eggs. She is taller and more "upright" and not as "fluffy" as the other hen and has I guess what you'd call, a carnation come. It's very large and floppy lol. Her legs are dark, but her eyes are golden brown. She has always been larger than the other hen, but I thought she just might be a little older.
The other hen has all the characteristics of a true australorp, and is laying smaller, light brown eggs.

Both are large, not bantams.

Thank you in advance for any info!
Wendy

Reply to  Wendy Eversvik

The clavel or "carnation" comb is quite rare. It occurs only on two breeds, and both lay very dark chocolate colored eggs. So that's not it, since you say your girl is laying white eggs. My guess is that you're not looking at a clavel comb, but probably a single comb. If that's the case, your girls may be black Andalusians, or even black Minorcas or---at an outside chance---black Leghorns or White-faced Black Spanish. The white faces take some time to develop. My guess would be that she's a Minorca, since Minorcas are on the large side, but it may help you to find out which breeds your breeder or supplier carries.

Wendy Eversvik

Thank you! The pictures showed under the Minorca link, look identical to her! The description is spot-on too.
So basically, when I thought I was buying 2 Australorps, I actually got one Australorp, and one Minorca!
Both are laying well, but the Australorp is definitely the friendlier/less flighty of the two.
Thank you so much for your breed info experience! You sure know your stuff!
Hope you have a great new year!
Wendy πŸ™‚

Reply to  Wendy Eversvik

You, too! Very glad I was able to help. πŸ™‚

[…] completely different breeds of the same color are extremely hard to distinguish from one another. IDing chicks is often all in the details. You can send us a photo and we Chicken Consultants can try to help as well. Just be aware there […]

sharon williams

I have a dozen chicks bought at tractor supply. they were marked down πŸ™ so sad to .50. no one knew what they were lost all paper work??? so they said. cream colored with brown speckled wings and tails. tails are kinda long an slope down. almost a amaricauna (spelled wrong) head and beak. what do I have??

Not sure from your description; you don't mention comb type, leg color, fancy feathering and so on. You can try emailing clear photos to info@mypetchicken.com and see if we can help you out!

JoAnn White

Found a small hen with small comb, brown head and neck, cream body and dark tail feathers. Her legs are grey, and she lays extra small white eggs. She has an odd sound, almost a faint gobble. Sweet chicken. Any ideas?

Reply to  JoAnn White

JoAnn, you might have a game bantam of some sort, but as this article points out, it's tough to tell from this sort of vague description. "Small comb" could mean a small single comb, or a small pea comb, or a small rose comb, etc. You can send photos to info at mypetchicken.com and see if someone can help you with a better guess.

Shawna

I recently got a chick from a local Orschlens, they listed it as a bantam, but it is totally different from all the other chicks. It has a yellow body and a black beak and legs/feet with feathering on its feet plus extra toes. It also has some fluff on its head. Any ideas what it could be?

Reply to  Shawna

Hi, Shawna! Does "fluff on its head" mean on top of the head, or around the face? If on top of the head, my guess is silkie. There aren't too awful many chickens that have a black beak/legs/feet and extra toes. If that's what you have, they are super sweet birds. You can see photos of white silkies here.

Paul

I got a chick today. She is shiny black in color with a bit hair as its comb. Slate color feets with no feather on it. Brown color eyes with a bit brown color touch on her neck. She is only 8 weeks old but she is so aggressive and run so fast. She can fly high as well. Not sure about her breed. If anyone can help with some name of breed she might be will be gratefull

Reply to  Paul

There are lots of different black chickens with dark legs. The comb type can help narrow down what breed it might be. Please send photos to info@mypetchicken.com and we can try to help you guess.

Rachel Rehart

I think it's between a D'uccle, Booted Bantam, and Cochin for this one, but maybe not! White feathers, white skin, white legs, single comb, bantam, feathered legs and feet, (no vulture hocks...but some of the leg/foot feathers were plucked by a naughty early on.). The tail is long and squared off and generally sticks out to the back but can go upright. No muffs or a beard thus far. No crest. Not laying (7-8 weeks old). Quite a tiny bantam.

sandra

I have what i thought was a black copper maran she has every feature to say she is except she lays light cream eggs bot chocolate just wondered how she could be a perfect match to one chicken but not be that chicken lol

Reply to  sandra

It's possible that she's a "mutt" who just looks quite similar to Black Copper Marans. But my guess is that she's probably a Black Star. They look similar to the untrained eye, but the body shape is different, and Marans have white legs and skin while Black Stars have yellow legs and skin.

lindaroot

I have four (out of a flock of 26 ) hens who are pretty and very active, color a creamy white with brown lace markings on wings and and throat, but all white head and tail. They are medium sized with long yellow legs. The markings on all four are nearly identical. They came in a rare bird assortment.

Ali

Can I DNA test my Rooster, I have no clue what he is. If so, could somebody please give me pointers on how to do so?

Reply to  Ali

I'm sure you could have him tested. Perhaps you could find a service with a Google search? We don't know of any DNA testing businesses for chicken DNA, but it's possible one is out there!

Lou

Hi there, I was wondering if I could have some help identifying what breed my girl is. I adopted her from the RSPCA recently and they didn't seem to know anything about her, but my best guess is that she's some kind of cross breed. Would it be possible to have some help identifying what breeds she may be crossed with?

She's buff in colour with smooth dark grey laced feathers on her tail, light grey laced feathers on her main body, and very, very light (almost non-existent) grey feathers around her head and neck. She has a small single comb that is partly hidden by the tuft of feathers on her head. She does not have a beard however. Her legs are white with a large blueish/slate patch covering one of them and while on one foot she has 4 toes, on the other she has 5. She lays white eggs, and I believe she is a small bantam of some kind.

She's quite an oddball and so far I've had no luck trying to figure out what she might be.

Reply to  Lou

You might try sending a good photo and your description to info@mypetchicken.com. She might be a game bantam of some sort, but a photo would help our experts be more certain.

Elodia

Hi, I would like help to identify couple baby chicks I got in the surprise box they run fast they have a strait up feather on top of their head and their feet are turning like bluish color. I could email you a pic of them if you need too see them.
Thank you!
Elodia

Reply to  Elodia

Hi, Elodia! Yes, there are several possibilities. Please send a clear photo of your birds, along with a detailed description, to info@mypetchicken.com.

Amber

I have a poulet that is buff in color, has white on the very tips of her feathers, and has light brown tail feathers on the bottom of her tail. she is still young, has yellow legs.

Reply to  Amber

Possibly a gold star, as they're very common, but there are other possibilities, depending on other features. Please send a good photo and a description to info@mypetchicken.com

Jason Maynard

Hello! I received several day old chicks from MPC on 2/25. They are all doing very well and are now almost 5 weeks old. Among our chicks we ordered one White Leghorn and one Austra-White. However, they look the EXACT same with a single comb, yellow legs, all white feathers, same body shape and neither chick has any black spots. The ONLY difference between them is their eye color; one has amber eyes and the other has blue eyes! What are your thoughts? They are both super friendly and healthy (and we won't be upset if our blue eyed girl turns out to be something other than an Austra-White), but I am wondering what you think about the lack of black spots and her blue eyes???

Jason Maynard

Hello, I received several chicks from MPC nearly 5 weeks ago (all are healthy and doing very well!). My order included a White Leghorn and an Austra White. The chicks are almost identical; they are both solid white (neither has the black spots characteristic of an Austra White), they have identical single combs (yellow) and their overall body shape is very similar. The only obvious difference is that one chick has amber eyes while the other has blue eyes. We are happy with our chicks, even if the "Austra White" turns out to be another breed, but I am curious what your thoughts are?

i have a chicken that has a black stripe at the edge of his/hers eye and a brown stripe on the back i also have a white chicken with black dots on the back i don't know the breeds

Susan M Thompson

i have a baby chick that has what looks like a hat or tuff on the top of his head what kind of chicken is it

Toriniku

I have a small black hen with white earlobes, a single comb, black legs and she lays a white egg. She looks like a rosecomb hen but has a single comb. She's bigger than bantam size but smaller than my Rhode Island and others around that size. Help to identify what she is would be appreciated.

Kay

Hi,
I got some chicks at tractor supply in NE Raleigh. I thought they were all silkies because they all looked the same with that little round bump on the head. At home I noticed one Did Not have black skin. That was the only difference at all. It was typical chic color, they were all yellow like but seemed kinda less yellow
Than usual, and she had orange typical chic legs. Now a week later her legs just today turned light slate like gray. There has always been a slight light gray to the down, but hardly visible and only here and there. They all have that. Her legs always had fathering. The feathers look yellow like her down. The feathering seems much less than the silkies have. She acted aloof sleepy , slept standing up, acted medically frail..but is totally fine now. It’s been 1-2 weeks since birth.

G
1 year ago

I've been searching like crazy and can't place this chicken breed. Any help is appreciated. Characteristics:
----------------------------------------------------
(1) Almost no comb, but there are a few very small spikes. Light colored,
(2) Tiny waddles/ Again light colored,
(3) Eyes are covered around with the light pinkish wattle/comb material,
(4) light blackish/greyish legs,
(5) Feathers are mostly black with white spots and highlights of green,
(6) Average in size (about the size of my RI Red),
(7) Fast and very agile... (run like velociraptors) like my blue egger.

Admin
1 year ago
Reply to  G

Send us a picture. info@mypetchicken.com

Tonya Rodemich
11 months ago

Shirley is mostly white with gray mixed throughout lightly. She has gray feet with a small comb little spikes and very small wattle. Both are also gray. She is a BIG bird! She is larger than all the other chickens.

Dan
30 days ago

Been trying to message or post on FB, but unable. I'm trying to ID my rooster breed if possible

Screenshot_20220716-091550_Gallery.jpg