Have you--or has someone you know--been fantasizing about a chicken dream job? Do you want to leave your current job and get paid to keep and talk about chickens all day? Are you looking for a way to help support your family with your beloved flock? Or perhaps you're a budding writer looking to blog about your flock? If so, your chicken dream job may be right around the corner with My Pet Chicken. My Pet Chicken is currently accepting applications for 2023 hiring. Preferred hiring states are GA, ID, IN, MS, MT, NC, NH, OK, SC, TN, TX, UT, WI, and WY. We can also consider applicants from AR, FL, DE, MO, NE, PA and VA.
First, let's talk about who we are and why My Pet Chicken might be the place to find your chicken dream job.
12 best reasons to work for My Pet Chicken
- You have a super-easy commute. This is because you commute from your bed to your computer for your chicken dream job. You will be telecommuting. That means no traffic! No gas money! No wear and tear on the car! And no scraping snow off an icy windshield or getting into a sweltering vehicle! Roll out of bed two minutes before you start, if that's your thing.
- You can work in your PJs. Or your comfy pants and favorite T-shirt with all the holes. We really don't care what you wear to work for your chicken dream job. Bad hair day? No one will see it. No one, unless you have neighbors, and you feel like bringing your laptop and working from your porch on a beautiful day. And heck, that sounds appealing, too!
- You can be at home caring for a child without having to call off work. Snow day? Easy. Teacher work day? No problem. If you're a single parent, or if you're in a household where both parents work, having a child home from school can normally create all sorts of logistical problems! Well... consider those issues SOLVED.
This is probably one of the most compelling reasons working for My Pet Chicken is really a chicken dream job. How depressing would it be to FINALLY get that job at the hatchery... only to discover you have to get rid of your own beloved flock? And incidentally, if you have other pets in addition to chickens (such as a dog), this is a great job, too. You won't have to worry about any separation anxiety, or rushing home from work to let your pup out. He can simply sleep at your feet--or even in your lap--and go out when he needs to.
Now, let's talk about the chicken dream job itself. Here's what you would do in your new position.
Chicken dream job duties
- Respond to customers in a warm, professional manner, by email, phone, and chat
- Answer customer questions about chick and chicken care
- Share your personal experience keeping chickens with customers
- Process customer-requested order changes and cancellations
- Assure customers are prepared for chickens by referring them to our extensive library of educational materials, including our online Chicken Help section, our free Chicken Care e-book, our free Incubation e-guide, our online Chicken Chooser breed selection tool, our information about different chicken breeds and varieties, our various informational blog posts, and so on
- Make sure customers know what to expect with order processes and procedures
- Enter data accurately on internal reports
- Maintain secure customer records
- Work in conjunction with other departments to resolve service and product issues, and make our customers happy
- Evaluate and recommend products or services to management as a direct result of customer suggestions and needs
- Blog for My Pet Chicken
- Other duties as assigned
Requirements for the chicken dream job:
1. You must currently keep a flock of pet chickens. We want to hire a person who is actually involved in the hobby and has experience with pet chickens. Preferably, in fact, you must be suffering from Chickenmania, or struggle with your Chicken Math every year. This is one of the things that sets us apart from other hatcheries, and makes My Pet Chicken the best place to go for people who want to get started with a small flock! Our company was founded with one goal in mind: connecting people with chickens. We can do that best when we hire people who are enthusiastic and knowledgeable about backyard chicken keeping. As a company, we genuinely want our customers to discover the joys of keeping a backyard flock, so we want to hire people who'll enjoy being an integral part of that process as much as we do.
2. You must have a speedy computer with a fast internet connection. You will be using your own computer and your own Internet connection when you work, and we don't want to keep customers waiting with a slow connection or processor.
3. You must have a quiet place to work. This can be a separate office or just a quiet space during working hours. The main thing is that, while speaking with customers on the phone, you need to be able to hear customers, and they need to be able to hear you. For chat and email, you still need a location free of distractions. The sound of roosters crowing in the background is perfectly acceptable, of course!
4. You must be able to work on these days: For our current need, prospective employees must be available to work at least 3 shifts per week Monday through Friday between 10am and 6pm EST. Additionally, all applicants should be able to commit to working on Mondays and, during the busy season, one or two Saturdays per month.
Other qualifications for the chicken dream job:
You must have
- Courteous phone manners
- Multitasking ability
- Independent internal motivation
- Proficiency with your computer, including browsing, email, chat, office software, and other basics.
- Ability to learn order processing, inventory, and content management systems with training
- Accurate spelling and grammar, and the ability to express yourself clearly in writing
- Problem-solving skills
- Meticulous attention to detail with both note-taking and follow-through
- Pet chicken and chicken product knowledge/familiarity
- Cooperative mindset as a team player
- Compassion and enthusiasm for humane care
- Advanced email management (setting filters, managing reply-tos, using labels, etc.)
- Blogging/writing experience
- Photography skills
More about the My Pet Chicken dream job
Peak season at My Pet Chicken coincides with our hatching season, which is February/March through September. As a result, you can expect more scheduled hours during that time frame, and reduced hours from October through January/February. However, during the slower time of year, you'll be able to get training completed. Plus, in future years, employees are encouraged to pick up extra hours by drafting and submitting blog posts for the My Pet Chicken Blog.
Keep in mind that I don't have any personal say as to who is hired! Your application will go to HR.
How to apply for the Chicken Dream Job
1. To apply for the chicken dream job, please email your resume and cover letter to email@example.com. The subject of the email should be "<Your Full Name> - <Your State> - Chicken Dream Job."
2. In the body of the email, tell us why you would be perfect for this job, and also let us know which days/hours you would be available to work. The ideal candidate will commit to at least three 4-hour phone or chat shifts per week, during the hours of 10am-6pm EST with the understanding this allotment may increase or decrease depending on the current rate of orders.
3. In addition to the above information, please compose an answer to the following sample customer email, and send it to us in your application email:
"My chicken has been acting very strangely. I noticed about a week ago that she wasn't walking around as usual. She can walk but doesn't want to. Then last night, I noticed that her face was very pale. I was wondering if you could tell me what the problem was."
Understand that we will be evaluating your experience, your writing ability, your chicken knowledge, AND your ability to follow written instructions based on your application email, so be sure to proofread and think carefully about your responses before you send your application.
Now, tell us in the comments below... does this sound like your chicken dream job?